Thursday, January 6, 2011

Wine and Cheese…

A few weeks ago on a cold snowy day in December, David and I took a little day trip to St. Croix Winery in Wisconsin.  Andy had given us a gift certificate for a five sample wine tasting with cheese and crackers, a tour and bottle of wine. We had the certificate for months when I thought I better take a look at it and see when we had to use it by. I’m so very glad I looked at it, because it had to be used by the first of the year. We called and made reservations the same day for the next Friday we both had off. The tour was a little lacking, but only because it is a very small winery. They hold special events there and it can be reserved for special happenings such as parties and weddings. They get their grapes and grape juice from California because they don’t have enough grapes yet. The grapes they have growing are special for this climate so they can leave them up and not have to bury them. It will be several years before they have enough to do much with, but they’ll get there.

I’m not much of a wine person because most of the wines I’ve had are too dry for me and make my nose stuffy. These wines though, mmmm, they were very good. Even the reds, which I always thought were dry, were Not! I didn’t get stuffed up either, and I found out that is because they use the smallest amount of tannin allowed by the FDA so their wines don’t give the headache and stuffiness.

Our ‘Free’ wine tasting event ended up costing us $46, because we just had to get some of the wonderful cheese we sampled and an additional two bottles of wine. They were so tasty! I think I may become hooked. hahaha

P1020015P1020016P1020017P1020019 

 

P1020018 

 

P1020020P1020031P1020032

Thanks Andy, we had a great time, and we plan on visiting other wineries.

No comments: