Monday, November 21, 2011

4 days to go...

We had a square metal table that was without a top, it had a glass top once upon a time, but it freakishly broke. (not going into that, too boring) I've been searching for an end table for the family room without any luck. I wanted something old and or used because I have an antique trunk in there so pretty and new just wouldn't cut it, plus, I'm cheap!
A couple of years ago I installed slate tile behind the wood burning stove and I was looking at it the other day when I remembered the metal table in the garage. Blink-lightbulb over head-I'll make a slate top for the table!
Today I made a stop at The Tile Shop and headed right for the slate. I found the color I needed, Copper Rust, and played around with some designs on the floor to make sure I got what I was looking for. I also picked up a piece of Chiaro Travertine for the middle.
Once home, I spread newspaper all over the kitchen floor, brought my laptop down to the kitchen (so I could be entertained while I worked) and spray painted a layer of Dark Walnut on the metal part (I was very careful).
David had already cut the cement board last night so I was able to start laying the tile in the design I wanted.
I put the board on the floor, with a couple of extra tiles under one edge so I could pick it up easier later on, and layed out the design. I covered it with a piece of newspaper and started to apply another layer of paint. As I was moving around, I heard a loud crack. I had stepped on the newspaper that was covering the board and because of those extra tiles under it, (just so I could pick the darn thing up) when I stepped on it, the big Travertine tile in the center cracked. I contemplated going out to get another tile, but I figure this will be a conversation starter. hahaha
I'll let the adhesive dry overnight and grout it tomorrow after work. I think it will look pretty nice and it cost a whopping $29.00.
I am very grateful that I have been blessed with some imagination and skill, and a little stupidity too.

Here is the table top pre-grout.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You never seize to amaze me. Looking forward to seeing you again sometime soon. Guess it won't be at the Christmas party!?! :(