Thursday, January 12, 2012

Linked 52: Cold

I thought long and hard about what cold meant to me.
I thought of all the usual, snow, ice, rain, winter, being sick, but I kept coming back to cold being a feeling.
Such as when you get a phone call in the middle of the night and you know your child is out with friends,
you get the sick, cold feeling of dread. If you haven’t had the bad fortune to be on the receiving end of one of those phone calls, pray that you never will be.
I just couldn’t figure out how to capture that feeling in a photograph, so I decided to take a nice
long soak in my tub and think it over.

The temperature here in Minnesota, has finally dropped to more normal winter weather and is now in the teens, perfect cold temperatures for a soothing, warming soak in my tub. Anytime I’m cold and just can’t get warm, I fill my tub with hot water and warm myself up.
I’m the only bath taker in the family and I have always loved the idea of soaking in an ‘old fashioned’ tub, so ten years ago when we had to replace our fiberglass, whirlpool monstrosity, after a house fire, I was able to get my dream tub, so this is the reason I call it my tub.

The thing you need to know about a cast iron clawfoot, is that the cast iron is cold. It takes HOT water to heat the iron in the winter, and the water will be just slightly warm if I don’t start filling with hot water only for a while, and that makes for a very uncomfortable bath in the cold winter.
On the other hand, on a hot humid summer day, that same slightly warm water is a life saver…I am able to cool myself off without having to put on a swimsuit.
My clawfoot tub is the most comfortable place in the whole house, and I can fall asleep within minutes. I can add some bath salts and my sore muscles melt away.  If I have some thinking to do, I just turn on the hot water, add some cold, maybe some bubbles, lay back with the water covering me entirely, shut my eyes
and I will get some of my best brainstorming done while soaking.
Sigh...

IMG_5976

Check out the Links below for the rest of the blogs participating in Linked.

Jenn
Michelle
Heather
Tracey
Stacey
Andrea
Jessica
Kristin
Amanda
Amanda
Lesli
Sara
Rhonda

4 comments:

stacey said...

I have always dreamed of having a claw foot tub like that! I adore baths and with the current weather a nice hot one sounds divine right about now. Love this, Janet!

sara said...

claw foot tub...swoon.
i dream of one day having one too :)

love your entry this week!

Heather M. said...

oooh, that sounds like the perfect thing to do on a nice cold day.

Andrea said...

Ok, now I want to go take a bath. I love how you described your clawfoot tub just perfectly. And now you've got me thinking about that other kind of emotional coldness...so very hard to capture, but I can imagine it.