Thursday, April 26, 2012

Gluten free...

About six weeks ago, I decided to stop eating anything with wheat for awhile, to see if the Fibromyalgia pain I have would be lessened. I've read a lot of articles and Googled Fibromyalgia with wheat, parvovirus, etc. to see what other people have to say about it and what works for them.
I don't take any drugs for it, but I do take a lot of supplements that really do work. I've thought many times that  they weren't working, so I stopped taking them, only to be in more pain until I started taking them again. It took me awhile to realize that I was feeling better because the supplements were working, not because I just didn't need them anymore.
I've read articles stating that gluten can cause muscle pain in some people, so I figured I would give it a try for awhile, because what do I have to lose, pain? that would be great!
I had already given up all artificial sweeteners, I don't drink soda, I rarely eat cookies, if I had any cake, it was without the frosting, any large amount of sugar makes me cranky and I simply can not eat chocolate! I turn into a raving bi__h...honestly, ask my family...they WILL tell you. Going gluten free was actually very easy. I don't miss it at all, and I haven't substituted gluten free breads, cookies, or pasta yet. I wanted to get the urge to eat bread and crackers out of my system before I started substituting with gluten free kinds.
I did buy a gluten free pizza crust a couple of weeks ago that was tasty, and I had this evening to myself, so I though I would try another one.


I found this in the freezer section of Cub Foods and it is very good. All pizza crusts are different, in taste, texture, thickness, some are good and some are not so good. I really like this one, and I can not tell that there is no gluten in it. It tastes like a homemade pizza crust.
I used a light Alfredo sauce, some shredded chicken from last nights dinner, torn, fresh spinach leaves, bacon bits and lots of mozzarella cheese...it was so good. (sorry, my photo makes it look a little questionable)


Then, I made the mistake of buying a bag of cookies...that was stupid, I was doing just fine Not eating any.
I love spicy ginger cookies and these are scrumptious, crispy, spicy, sweet. 
Warning...donotbuythem, they are addicting!


I found several gluten free blogs and I think I may be brave enough now to try some of the recipes,
thank goodness I have a husband that will eat anything. The thing is though, without gluten, I have lost
five pounds, I don't have tummy bloat (well, not as bad) and I don't retain as much fluid anymore, and
I really do have more energy. Who would have thought, huh?
Oh, yeah...my pain?? I still have pain, but at least now someone can touch me without causing me more pain, I can poke my thighs and there is no pain, I can squeeze my arms and there is just a little pain and my cat can stand on my legs and I don't wince.
This week was National Laboratory Week, and of course there was a lot of food. I was so good! 
I am happy :-)



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that's a good sign. Hopefully this is the beginning of less pain for you! :)

Amanda said...

Gluten free can be challenging, can't it? That pizza looks fabulous - just might have to make one of those for dinner!

Tracey said...

I have joint pain and psorasis issues so I try my best to be off of gluten too. I LOVE that udi's pizza crust! So funny to see you post it. It's been my go-to these past few months! I saute veggies and pour them over the crust, brushed with olive oil. Sprinkle with a little goat cheeze crumbles and pile a few greens on top after you take it out of the oven....yum!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Until they make a gluten free potato chip, I'm a lost cause. This diet (and by that I mean "way of eating") is becoming quite popular. I know a few people who eat this way and have only good things to say about it. One woman lost a ton of weight, apparently, which should be all the incentive I need to try it. But, then I think of those potato chips again, and well...