Thursday, August 20, 2009

51st Annual Airshow...


I wish I had a video recorder on my camera so I could include a video of the jets zipping by overhead and the booming sound they make. It is just the coolest thing in the world, for me. Flying over the city with all the tall buildings, makes the enormous sound reverberate. We got a terrific seat right at the waterfront. David wanted to sit closer to Lincoln Park, because that was the place all the close up action was taking place...the parachuters landed there, and the really tricky stunts the planes did, were right overhead there, but the beach was like a can of sardines. I really didn't want to sit in 90+ degrees with 90+ % humidity, in the hot shining sun, on the sand, with no shade, or sunscreen, we got sunburned as it was. So we ended up about 1/2 mile further south, with our feet dangling over the edge of the wall, getting splashed every now and then and although we didn't see the parachuters land, trees were in the way, we had no problem seeing the stunts the planes did.
The lifeguard boats came out each time there was a jump, just in case the landing didn't go as planned. I know there have been accidents during air shows in the past, and I was thinking of that while I was totally in awe, but we were talking about "what if?" I just don't know what I would do or how I would react, other than the obvious horror, if there was a crash.
Pictures just don't do an air show justice...there's NO sound!
When we arrived friday afternoon, the planes were practicing over the city. Each time one went overhead, all the people out on the streets just stopped walking and looked up with big smiles on their faces.

No comments: