Thursday, November 17, 2011

Only 8 Days...

I am so grateful for technology. With two of my children living hundreds of miles away, it is a lifesaver to be able to text and talk with them at any time we choose.
I remember when I was a little girl and faithfully watched The Jetson's, I thought that being able to both talk and see a person on a t.v. screen while making a phone call was amazing. I never really thought anything would come of it, even when there was talk of being able to see the person you were talking on the phone to. I always thought that would be a bad idea...what if someone called me and I had my hair up in rollers, or was in my pajamas, or had just got out of the tub? Besides, it was talked about for so many years, I had forgotten all about it, until I started to hear the word Skype. I thought, what in the world is that? When I found out, I thought, well, I'll never need to use that. Who would have thought my children would not only move out on their own, they would move way, way out.
We don't Skype that often, but it seems that we all know when it's time. Skyping forces you to pay attention to the person you are talking to. Often, we are busy trying to do several things at one time and tend to only half listen to the person we are with. It's much harder to multitask when you are on Skype because you need to be in front of the computer's camera, unless you want to be extremely rude.
I've gotten to see a tour of their apartments, be introduced to new pets, be introduced to room mates and boyfriends. We were even able to do a three way Skype once. We could do it again, but our free trial is over and no one wants to spend the money to do it again. If it only needed one person to pay, I would gladly do that, but it's an all or nothing sort of thing, and as we all know, money is usually pretty tight with young people.
Because I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish today and pretty much wasn't able to do any, I didn't want to talk when Kira called, so instead, this afternoon Kira and I Skyped while I peeled and cut a bunch of pears. As you see, I didn't make much of a dent in the mound of pears I have. They are sooo delicious!


No comments: